My first race - Clay Pigeon IKR Spring series, round 1

It was an early start, up at 6:30am and out by 7am to get to the track on time to sign on and do scrutineering.

There are 2 practice sessions, and I had a mechanical failure early on my first session which meant I had to stop and come off. Luckily some other dads helped dad and they were able to get the kart going again so I could go out for the second practice session. Then it is qualifying, which determines your place on the grid for the first heat. I had on the wrong tyres because it was really wet on the track and I had on my old wets which had hardly any grip left so I was sliding around and that meant I qualified in last place (but only by a tenth of a second!)

The qualifying times


In the Heat race I managed to overtake 3 people to get to 14th, still wearing the old tyres! This meant that I started the Pre- final 14th on the grid. Before the pre-final we got some help and managed to put on the brand new Wet tyres which would hopefully give me a bit more grip.

In the Pre-final I was so much better even though it was very wet out on track I had so much more grip and manged to pass another 2 drivers to get up to 12th.

In the final I started 12th on the grid, and managed to pass 6 more drivers to finsh the race in 6th! The first 5 finishers get a trophy so I only just missed out. I was very happy with my performance - making up 11 places by starting from 17th and finishing in 6th. It was so much fun and I really loved it. My target was a top 10 finish - next time I am hoping to get top 5!

Final finishing positions.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My first Kart

Taking the ARKS test

My first MSA race, aka The One where I flipped the kart (again)